The latest round of violence between terrorists in the Gaza Strip and Israel has so far included more than 130 rockets launched from Gaza at southern Israel since Friday. An IDF spokesperson statement, posted on the Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs website, said at least four people have been injured by the attacks, including one severely.
The Israel Air Force has struck weapons and terror sites, as well as attempted rocket launchings, in response to the fire from Gaza.
Another attack on Israel via the Israel-Egypt border had been in the planning stages prior to Israel assassinating a senior terrorist operative involved in the plot on Friday. Despite the hit, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in a statement that Israel is “still on alert regarding the attack.”
In the press release of his comments to Sunday’s cabinet meeting, Netanyahu was quoted as saying, “There is no doubt that IDF operations have disrupted the organizing for the attack; of course, time will tell to what extent.
“Naturally, this led to another round with the Popular Resistance Committees, Islamic Jihad and other groups… We are taking the necessary defensive and aggressive measures and I have no doubt that with this combination, along with the necessary fortitude, we will overcome these terrorist threats around us.”
Continue watching The Mideast Update for additional reports in this ongoing story.
(By Joshua Spurlock, www.themideastupdate.com, March 11, 2012)