Two Iranians arrested in Kenya on explosives charges are believed to be members of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards special forces planning to attack Israeli and Western targets, according to The Daily Telegraph. The British newspaper, citing Kenyan investigators, said the men have been accused of surveillance of targets in Nairobi, including a synagogue and the Israeli embassy.
Altogether, anti-terror investigators suspect the Iranians of plotting to potentially set off more than two-dozen explosions against Israeli, US, British and Saudi Arabian targets. In a press statement from his office, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu noted the global reach of Iranian-sponsored terror.
“There are no limits to Iranian terrorism,” said Netanyahu. “After Iran sent its people to assassinate—on US soil—the Saudi Arabian ambassador and to perpetrate terrorist attacks in Azerbaijan, Bangkok, Tbilisi and New Delhi, its intention to perpetrate attacks on African soil has now been exposed. The international community needs to fight the greatest exporter of terrorism in the world.”
It appears that a report by the Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB) network in late June regarding two Iranians interrogated regarding terrorism may be the same men in the current media reports.
The June 24 report from IRIB said the men had been arrested the previous week. It quoted Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast as accusing the foreign media reports at the time of trying to “harm” what were described as “very good and friendly ties” between Iran and Kenya.
(By Joshua Spurlock, www.themideastupdate.com, July 4, 2012)